Python vs. Lisp -- please explain

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Tue Feb 21 12:57:49 EST 2006

In article <mailman.2231.1140532613.27775.python-list at python.org>,
 "Chris Mellon" <arkanes at gmail.com> wrote:
> They won't say Java. Ask them why Python is interpreted and Java isn't
> and you'll have a hard time getting a decent technical answer, because
> Python isn't all that different from Java in that regard, especially
> pre-JIT versions of Java.

For me that would be partly because I don't know that
much about Java, honestly.  Just searching at random
for something about the subject, I cam across this -
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-native.html?loc=j
- which seems like it might be of some interest here.

My impression from reading this is that Java actually
can be compiled to native code, though in 2002 this
was relatively new.

   Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu