python's library support

Kirk McDonald mooquack at suad.org
Sat Feb 4 01:25:23 EST 2006

Sean wrote:
> I am a newbie in python, and I have a feeling that python provides less
> library support than perl www.cpan.org  This seems a big discussion
> topic.
>
> I want to know if there is extensive algorithm library support in
> python. I know there is a pretty neat module in perl to implement graph
> theory. Is there a graph theory module in python?
>
> Thanks,

Python's standard library is actually quite extensive; it's one of the
language's greatest strengths:

http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.2/lib/lib.html

However, it is perhaps true that it is lacking in the raw algorithm
department. On the subject of graphs, a quick Google search brings up
this nice-looking library:

https://networkx.lanl.gov/

For computationally intensive array manipulation, there's always good
ol' numarray:

http://www.stsci.edu/resources/software_hardware/numarray

The standard library can do quite a lot, and if it fails you, there's
more than likely a third-party library available.

-Kirk McDonald