Hi reliability files, writing,reading,maintaining

Martin P. Hellwig mhellwig at xs4all.nl
Thu Feb 9 08:32:38 EST 2006

John Pote wrote:
<cut>
> So my request:
> 1. Are there any python modules 'out there' that might help in securely
> writing such files.
> 2. Can anyone suggest a book or two on this kind of file management. (These
> kind of problems must have been solved in the financial world many times).

<cut>
I can't answer your specific questions but I got the feeling that you're
  barking at the wrong tree ;-)

You don't want to solve this in you application, file management is what
the OS and hardware is about. "Military" grade solutions are often
(depending on their criticalness) double or triple hot spares in the
same room which can be seen as a "unit" and these units are duplicated
on remote locations (at least 25km of each other) syncing their data
with standard tools like rsync.

If you don't have military budget, I would suggest to do it a little
less expensive, like having a couple of Solaris machines (three or four
will do it) in the same room, using a part of their diskspace for ZFS.

Then let your application write your data to that ZFS partition and if
you are particular paranoid you can build in a checksum that can be
calculated by other machines without the need for the original received
data (ZFS has a built-in mechanism for that so you might just want to
call that).

There is nothing wrong for assuming a certain level of hardware, well at
least not if its very clearly communicated to all parties.
ZFS is open source (by SUN) but currently only implemented in Solaris,
which you also can (commercially) use without charge.

Now you only got to figure out how to implement a heartbeat mechanism
between you fail-over applications :-)

--
mph