Replacing curses (Was: Re: Problem with curses and UTF-8)

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Feb 8 13:44:28 EST 2006

On 2006-02-08, Ian Ward <ian at excess.org> wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:
>> Why not use termcap/terminfo?
>
> That's a good idea, but I'd have to wrap the c library myself,
> wouldn't I?

Probably.  I don't remember seeing a python module for them.

> Also, what happens when a user has an incorrect TERM setting
> (I've run into this before)

Then things (besides your program) won't work.

> I don't want to reimpliment all the nice speed optimizations
> that the curses library has, I just want something simple that
> should work for as many people as possible.

Depending on what you're tring to do, slang might be an option,
but I don't think there's a Python binding.  There is a
(largely unsupported) Python binding for the "newt" widget set
that runs on top of slang.  The old text-mode "red dialog
windows on a blue background" RedHat installer and admin apps
were written in Python using the newt widget library.  The
"newt" Python module is called "snack".

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  DIDI... is that a
                                  at               MARTIAN name, or, are we