how to get function names from the file

Magnus Lycka lycka at carmen.se
Fri Feb 17 09:32:10 EST 2006

Petr Jakes wrote:
> I have got names of functions stored in the file. For the simplicity
> expect one row only with two function names: printFoo, printFOO
> In my code I would like to define functions and then to read function
> names from the file, so the functions can be executed in the order the
> function names are stored in a file.

Somehow, when people invent little languages like you are doing now,
the languages tend to grow over time...until you realize that you
should have written the scripts in Python... It's all up to you of
course, but making your code contain proper Python code might be
something to consider. Little languages are sometimes useful.

luis.armendariz at gmail.com wrote:
> functions = ("printFoo", "printFOO")    # list or tuple of strings from
> file, or wherever
> for function in functions:
>     call = function + "()"
>     eval(call)

I wouldn't do this. eval has security issues, and it's
overkill for simply finding names in a namespace as you
saw in the other replies.

and Larry Bates wrote (slightly corrected):
 > Create dictionary with the function names as keys and the pointer to
 > function definition as value:
 >
 > fdict={'printFoo': printFoo, 'printFOO': printFOO}
 > functions=('printFoo', 'printFOO')
 > for function in functions:
 >     if fdict.has_key(function): fdict[function]()
 >     else:
 >         print "No function named=%s defined" % function

These two options are basically the same. The
difference is that Kent suggest that you use a
mapping of names to functions provided by Python,
while Larry suggests that you make one yourself.
(BTW, instead of globals() you might want locals()
depending on what scope your functions are defined
in.)

While Kent's suggestion is a little less work, Larry's
suggestion buys you some more benfits:

- You can use other names than the actual function names
   as keys in the dict. This means that:
   -You can use reserved words (in, while etc) in your little
    script
   -You can rename functions and reorganize your code without
    breaking your scripts.
   -You can have command names in your script that contain
    national characters, spaces, punctuation, start with digits,
    etc (won't, stop!, 1st time, 1.2.45.start etc).

- It's safer: You control exactly what functions the
   script might call. Those who write code you run eval
   on can basically get arbitrary code executed.

$ cat > evil.py
print "Gotcha"
$ python
[snip]
 >>> def x(): print 'Ok'
Ok
 >>> eval('__import__("evil") and x'+'()')
Gotcha
Ok

If you want more than just function names in your minilanguage,
you might want to have a look at the shlex module.