how do you pronounce 'tuple'?

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Mon Feb 13 17:11:57 EST 2006

In article <0mt1v15ei7tg1mr0oclo703b6c92jr9vb4 at 4ax.com>,
 Dave Hansen <iddw at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've seen "route" pronounced "rout" or "root" depending on the
> background and mood of the speaker, though in this part of the country
> ("midwest", though "middle" might be more accurate) the former
> pronunciation is far more common.  Through the sugestive power of
> television, however, I suspect nearly every American would speak of
> "root 66" even though the next sentence might reference "rout 12."
>
> On NPR ([American] National Public Radio), there's a weekly music
> program called "American Routes" pronounced such to conjure the
> alternate "American Roots."

Those of us for whom 'root' rhymes with 'foot', can pronounce
'route' either way without ambiguity.  Or we could, anyway, if
everyone else would get with it.  If you're going to adopt this
sensible program, other short vowel words are roof, hoof, creek.
My grandfather pronounced hoop short, but I never heard anyone
else do likewise.  Tuple rhymes with couple.

   Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu