Quesion about the proper use of __slots__

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Feb 20 16:14:37 EST 2006

Alex Martelli wrote:
> Zefria <zefria at gmail.com> wrote:
>>this special case I'm expecting each "carrier" to have up to 150
>>fighters, and 3 to 5 carriers for each of the two teams, which comes
>>out to be quite large.
>
> The problem with the spread of email is that it reduces the number of
> envelopes laying around, and thus makes it harder to do "back of the
> envelopes" calculations (the key skill in engineering...).

Actually, a properly performed "engineering approximation" is done
entirely in one's head, preferably without resorting to calculation at
all.

The "back of the envelope" ploy is reserved for cases where one is
trying to impress a waitress (which effort is inevitably doomed to fail
of course), or to make it easier to submit the dinner receipt as a
business expense...

;-)
-Peter