Python equivilant to msgbox()

Peter Decker pydecker at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 08:51:27 EST 2006

On 2/13/06, Andre Roberge <andre.roberge at gmail.com> wrote:

> While I agree that dabo's version is more Pythonic than wxPython, my
> understanding is that dabo is built on top of wxPython.

Yes. You get all the power of wxPython without having to deal with the
C++ style of coding.

> There are
> other framework (wax, anygui) that also aim to make the coding "more
> pythonic", hiding "ugly" wxPython details.  Personnally, I am hesitant
> to start using an extra layer on top of wxPython, with no guarantee
> that it will be always updated.  Ideally, something like dabo+wxPython
> would become part of the standard Python distribution.

I think the chances of Dabo not getting updated are about the same as
wxPython not getting updated. The authors have been highly active and
involved for a few years now, unlike Wax or anygui. Bugs get fixed in
hours usually, and enhancements to the tools are always being
released.

It would be way cool if the Powers that Be would adopt Dabo/wxPython
as part of the language. The combination is so much more powerful and
much better looking than Tkinter.

> The original post was asking if it was possible to have such message
> dialogs using Python, without having a full gui app.  I'd say that the
> answer is yes... and that one has a lot of options, depending on how
> many packages one is ready to download.

Oh, I understand your response. But I know that when people who are
familiar with Python first see wxPython code, their first reaction is
usually not positive. I was just trying to show that you can create
UIs easily and Pythonically.

--

# p.d.