Tkinter, X-windows and ebay

Adonis adonisv at DELETETHISTEXTearthlink.net
Thu Feb 9 18:07:43 EST 2006

Bob Greschke wrote:
> When you post something on eBay (and other places) you can use a 'browse'
> button on a web page to send a picture file from your hard drive to them for
> inclusion in your listing.  Can the same kind of thing (not the same exact
> thing, of course) be done with a Python/Tkinter program that is running on a
> remote machine (that you logged into to start the program), but that's just
> using your computer's display (with X11 on a Mac, X-whatever on Linux,
> X-Win32 on Windows, etc.)?  I've got an inventory program that runs this way
> and it would be nice if users could create a text file on their machine, but
> then have the program read that file and, for example, update item
> quantities according to information in that file.  Things like that.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bob

This is not a full answer to your question, but an idea, just so happens
last few days I have been playing with ssh clients (putty, ssh) X11
Forwarding with success. Essentially the user would run their preferred
X, ssh to the server with X11 forwarding enabled to their host address
and they can run programs like Xterm or even Nautilus, most X programs
and it will be forwarded to their X server over a secured connection. To
address the users file system maybe try setting up a file server on the
Linux system referring to the users home directory, the user then
creates a reference to the file server, then now it may mimic a "local"
feel but all on your Linux server. Now they can run the X app and be
able to achieve what you want. I am in no way an expert and some of my
ideas might not be 100% accurate, but at my university this is how we
have it set and it works perfectly (a very mixed environment as well).

Just an idea, hope this helps.

Adonis