Single-file executables

James Stroud jstroud at ucla.edu
Sat Feb 11 19:39:26 EST 2006

Kevin Walzer wrote:
> Which of the Windows/Unix package builders for Python applications is
> capable of creating single-file executables? I'm thinking of:
>
> 1. py2exe
> 2. Mcmillan Installer/PyInstaller
> 3. cxfreeze
>
> The apps I've seen created by py2exe aren't single-file at all, the
> install folder is full of files besides the main program. I'm looking
> for a solution that stuffs all libraries, scripts, and the Python
> runtime into one file.

I use pyinstaller. Its easy and makes a single file, even if you have
compiled dependencies like pycrypto (I don't think freeze handles these
so well). If you want ease of installation for windows, check out Inno
Setup. It gives a single downloadable installer that helps get around
the "unknown publisher" problem, and system registry editing. In
summary: pyinstaller + inno setup.

James