embedding python in HTML

Fri Feb 17 09:56:12 EST 2006

Kirk McDonald wrote:

> A more common (and bare-metal) approach is CGI. In CGI, a request for a
> page runs a script, the output of which is the HTML page. I think this
> only requires that the server has Python installed, which you have said
> is the case. Python has signifigant standard library support for writing
> CGI.

Thanks, that makes much more sense to me now. But does this mean I can
still write HTML normally? What would an example be of having HTML
within a Python script? I have a hard time picturing this, because I
imagine that most of my pages will be almost all HTML, with just a bit
of Python here and there, perhaps to insert headers and footers. Is all
the HTML just wrapped in a big print statement, or something like that?