How to move optparse from main to function?

Jason Drew jasondrew72 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 14:55:01 EST 2006

As pointed out, the module documentation is helpful.

For your 'test' option, I don't think 'action="count"' is the best
action. 'Test' is basically an on/off option, so why count it? I would
use:

parser.add_option("-t", "--test", action="store_true",
dest="optparse_test", default=False, help="testing optparse")

Then your code can use
if options.optparse_test == True: ...
or briefer:
if options.optparse_test: ...

As for putting the optparse code into a function, I sometimes use:

def parserSetup():
    """Return a configured option parser for this program."""
    parser = OptionParser()
    parser.add_option( ... your option stuff ... )
    parser.add_option( ... )
    return parser

if __name__=="__main__":
    parser = parserSetup()