fairly large webapp: from Java to Python. experiences?

brianhray at gmail.com brianhray at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 21:04:13 EST 2006

To replace a large framework you will probably need a framework. Take a
look at http://www.djangoproject.com or http://www.turbogears.org. They
both use some of the tools you mention but operate on a higher level.

I find Python fairly easy to maintain. Unfortunatly, I do not find it
easy to take a bunch of Java code and move it to Python. But once it is
there, Python is a good choice for web apps. Java is slow and has a big
footprint. Python is reasonably nimble and good design choices pay off.
Plus, you must write many more lines of Java to do what you can in
Python. I do not know the code you are not working with, but a lot of
large Java apps can be poorly written.

I guess you could also look at http://www.jython.org/ and see if you
can somehow make the transition but not all at once.

Good luck,
<http://brianray.chipy.org>