Tkinter, X-windows and ebay

Bob Greschke bob at passcal.nmt.edu
Fri Feb 10 12:50:53 EST 2006

"Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message
news:7xacczt8u4.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com...
> "Bob Greschke" <bob at passcal.nmt.edu> writes:
>> What I came up with was the user can just create a text file (a kind
>> of a transaction log of what things were done to the copy of the
>> database on his machine), then cut and paste that text into a window
>> created on their machine by the main database program (using
>> X-windows, ssh, etc.), then the main program can read the contents
>> of that text field and update the main copy of the database.
>>
>> It should work. :)
>
> Yuck!  Why not use an http interface instead of the remote tkinter
> interface?  Then the user would interact with your app through a web
> browser, giving a familiar UI as well as giving that upload button
> (which tells the browser to upload the file).

Mainly because the user may be in the middle of the Himalayas trying to
create paperwork for equipment being shipped to Japan and Chile.  The
Internet is not always an option in our line of work.  We need to have
standalone everythings.  We don't live in your real world. :)

The two databases (the one on the user's laptop, and the one back at the
office) don't need to be reconciled until the user gets back.  We just need
to (eventually) know which pieces of equipment were sent to Japan, and which
went to Chile.

Bob