Literal Escaped Octets

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Feb 6 20:58:00 EST 2006

Chason Hayes wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 13:39:17 +0000, Steve Holden wrote:
[...]
>>The URL you reference is discussing how you represent arbitrary values
>>in string literals. If you already have the data in a Python string the
>>best advise is to use a parameterized query - that way your Python DB
>>API module will do the escaping for you!
>>
>>regards
>>  Steve
>

> Thanks for the input. I tried that with a format string and a
> dictionary, but I still received a database error indicating illegal
> string values. This error went away completely when I used a test file
> consisting only of text, but reproduced everytime with a true binary file.
> If you can let me know where I am wrong or show me a code snippet with a
> sql insert that contains a variable with raw binary data that works,
> I would greatly appreciate it.

I tried and my experience was exactly the same, which made me think less
of PostgreSQL.

They don't seem to implement the SQL BLOB type properly, so it looks as
though that rebarbative syntax with all the backslashes is necessary. Sorry.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119