A problem with some OO code.

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sat Feb 4 17:23:11 EST 2006

TPJ wrote:

> I understand your POV and I really appereciate your reply, but I doubt
> that I could simplify my code to make it small *enough* to fit in one
> post and not look too long.

The pont of the exercise of taking non-working code and trying to cut
away parts that aren't part of the problem is to isolate where the
problem is.  This is especially true in dynamic languages like Python,
where problems usually consist of something not being what you expected
it to be, but it's true in all other languages as well.

Even if it means creating a standalone program that's a simplified
version of the particular logic that's failing, this is good.  It makes
it easy for others to find where the problem is without having to tangle
through your other (working) code.

But in my view this is only the side benefit.  The _real_ benefit is
that a very significant fraction of the time, going through this
exercise will actually help _you_ figure out your problem on your own.
Taking a tangle of code that isn't working for reasons you don't
understand and then pulling out threads to see where the problem is so
you can show it to someone else to get help will usually allow _you_ to
see where the problem was in the process.

   God said: "Let Newton be"; and all was light.
   -- Alexander Pope