changing python script on-the-fly for ActiveX/COM object (win32com)

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 04:15:40 EST 2006

jd wrote:
> I have implemented a COM object in Python and I would like
> to be able to change the script without stopping and
> restarting the application that's using the COM object.  Is
> there a way to do this?  (I can change the program that
> calls the COM object if needed.)

I have no idea about the intracacies of COM, but...

You'll probably have to at least implement a Python stub that doesn't
change. You can implement everything else in modules.

You can override the modules and call 'reload' to force the newer
versions to be used.

I don't know if that would rebind external references to objects
*within* the module (you'd need to experiment or wait for a more
knowledgeable opinion).

You'd also have to at least *suspend* operations whilst the update
takes place.

All the best,

Fuzzyman