bsddb3 database file, are there any unexpected file size limits occuring in practice?

Klaas mike.klaas at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 17:05:30 EST 2006

Claudio writes:
> I am on a Windows using the NTFS file system, so I don't expect problems
> with too large file size.

how large can files grow on NTFS?  I know little about it.

> (I suppose it in having only 256 MB RAM available that time) as it is
> known that MySQL databases larger than 2 GByte exist and are in daily
> use :-( .

Do you have more ram now?  I've used berkeley dbs up to around 5 gigs
in size and they performed fine.  However, it is quite important that
the working set of the database (it's internal index pages) can fit
into available ram.  If they are swapping in and out, there will be
problems.

-Mike