Python vs. Lisp -- please explain

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Mon Feb 20 21:51:43 EST 2006

Quoth Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au>:
| Nobody denies that Python code running with no optimization tricks is
| (currently) slower than compiled C code. That's a matter of objective
| fact. Nobody denies that Python can be easily run in interactive mode.
| Nobody denies that *at some level* Python code has to be interpreted.
|
| But ALL code is interpreted at some level or another. And it is equally
| true that at another level Python code is compiled. Why should one take
| precedence over the other?

I have no idea, what precedence?  All I'm saying is that Python matches
what people think of as an interpreted language.  You can deny it, but
but it's going to look like you're playing games with words, and to no
real end, since no one could possibly be deceived for very long.  If you
give me a Python program, you have 3 choices:  cross your fingers and
hope that I have the required Python interpreter version, slip in a
25Mb Python interpreter install and hope I won't notice, or come clean
and tell me that your program needs an interpreter and I should check to
see that I have it.

	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com