how to kill a python process?

MackS mackstevenson at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 5 12:10:04 EST 2006

Hello!

This question does not concern programming in python, but how to manage
python processes. Is there a way to "name" a python process? At least
on Linux, if I have two python programs running, they both run under
the name "python"

#pidof program1.py
[empty line]
#pidof program1.py
[empty line]
# pidof python
1249 854

Is there a way to make them run under their own names, e.g., to make it
easier to kill them by name using killall? Or am I stuck with
registering the pid of each python process I create and then refer to
that list whenever I need to selectively stop one of them? The latter
makes managing a long list of processes very cumbersome...

Thanks for any help!

Mack