Print a PDF transparently

bonono at gmail.com bonono at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 14:46:36 EST 2006

Daniel Crespo wrote:
> Yes, I've seen it, but that's it: another program that I have to
> install, which I want to avoid.
>
> I'd be happy if I just do "printer.Print(file.pdf/.ps)" and walá, the
> printing just starts (in 98,2000,XP... sounds like a dream), without
> having another window opened. If it opens, but then closes, it's
> perfect too.
I have done such thing a few years back, just use the file association
and the "print/printto" action. All you need is to have Acrobat
installed. You can try it by right click on the desktop on a .PDF file
and select print. A modeless dialog would still be visible but would
close itself. This was using ancient Acrobat Reader.

You need to read the WIN32 API(I faintly remembered about Shell
something) that tells you how to do it programmatically(I used C).

> All this has to be easilly installed (with InnoSetup, for example),
> because I have to install it on 70 offices. So I can't leave it to
> another installation process. All of these offices have a dot matrix
> printers Epson LX-300, which has PostScript level 3 built-in.
>
> Where can I find how to send a .ps directly to the printer?
Again, in the WIN32 API and unfortunately 98 and NT family has
completely different mechanism.