Do I need to convert string to integer in python?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Sun Feb 26 15:11:20 EST 2006

Allerdyce.John at gmail.com schrieb:
> Do I need to convert string to integer in python? or it will do it for
> me (since dynamic type)?
>
> In my python script, I have this line:
>     x /= 10;
>
> when i run it, I get this error:
> TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for /=: 'unicode' and 'int'
>
> I want to divide x by 10 and assign that value back to x.

Yes, you have to convert beforehand. Dynamic typing and weak typing (as in perl or php) aren't the same thing.

Dynamic typing means that you can rebind a variable (or better name) at runtime to contain a value with a new type. Weak
typing means that an object is reinterpreted as a value of another type when needed - and (often) leads to difficult errors.

Regards,

Diez