Difference: __iadd__ and __add__

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Feb 18 09:47:49 EST 2006

Jonathan Gardner wrote:
> I would like to point out that it isn't entirely obvious where to find
> documentation for this particular thing. I know from experience where
> to go, but I remember spending a long time trying to hunt this down.

I'd like to point out it should be obvious, at least as far as going to
http://docs.python.org and typing "__iadd__" into the Search field in
the upper right should be an obvious first step...

> For reference, you may want to check out the index of the language
> reference manual.
>
> http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.2/ref/genindex.html

That one is the second hit in those results...

(It does seem to require reading a few of those pages to learn enough to
answer the original question.  To be fair, I didn't find (in a few
minutes) any page that explicitly states what tomerfiliba at gmail.com
said, about += falling back to __add__ if __iadd__ is not defined,
though I didn't try searching for it directly.)

-Peter