Little tool - but very big size... :-(

Martin Franklin mfranklin1 at gatwick.westerngeco.slb.com
Tue Feb 21 04:28:15 EST 2006

Durumdara wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I have a problem.
> I have a little tool that can get data about filesystems and wrote it in
> python.
>
> The main user asked me a GUI for this software.
>
> This user is needed a portable program, so I create this kind of the
> software with Py2Exe.
>
> But it have very big size: 11 MB... :-(
>
> I need to have more compressed result. Can I compress dll-s, pyd-s with
> Py2Exe ?
> Can I decrease the total size with something ?

you could try UPX http://upx.sourceforge.net/ I think it will handle
the .pyd and dll files (it did the last time I tested it)

> If not, how to I create an self-unpackager and self-starter program that
> use an temporary directory in the disk ? With WinRar ?

I may be wrong (havn't used py2exe in a while) but I think it can now
(again) create a single exe file?  Otherwise something like Inno Setup
http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php or a simple self extracting zip
file