Netstat in python. Does it's possible?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Feb 12 16:56:06 EST 2006

Jorgen Grahn wrote:
> I was thinking mostly about /proc, /sys and related file systems. I have a
> feeling parts of them they change quite frequently under Linux, and of
> course under other Unices they may look completely different, or be absent.
>
> Like Mr Laird said elsewhere, the best thing might be to popen() netstat
> and parse its output.

Hmm. And the netstat output cannot change, and is identical across all
systems?

I agree that the format of the proc file system is different across
systems (or other systems don't use netstat at all), however, on all
systems I'm aware of, there is a certain committment to keeping the
proc file system stable for applications (on Solaris more so than
on Linux).

Regards,
Martin