Best python module for Oracle, but portable to other RDBMSes

dananrg at yahoo.com dananrg at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 24 17:02:41 EST 2006

I'm a little confused about what's out there for database modules at:

  http://python.org/topics/database/modules.html

What I'd like to do is use Python to access an Oracle 9.X database for
exporting a series of tables into one aggregated table as a text file,
for import into a mainframe database. The catch is that I'd like to
write code that wouldn't need to be changed (much) if we switched from
Oracle to some other RDBMS (still need to export out as a text file for
import to the mainframe database.

Looks like I'd probably want to use something that conforms to the
DB-API 2.0. On the module list, I see DCOracle2, but it hasn't been
updated since 2001. Anyone here use this module, and does it work with
both Oracle 9.2 and Oracle 10g? Are there other DB-API 2.0 compliant
modules I should be looking at? What are the advantages and
disadvantages of the ones that can access Oracle 9.2 and Oracle 10g
databases?

Thanks in advance.