SOAP Server with WSDL?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Thu Dec 7 18:37:43 EST 2006

>> I can't figure out if I want SOAP, or CORBA, or would it just be
> Unless you are talking to an existing CORBA interface, don't go there.

Can't agree to that. CORBA is by far better than SOAP. And writing an
IDL is actually a easy and straightforward thing to do - no tools
needed, as when writing WSDL. With omniORB there is a easy to use,
powerful and actively devloped ORB for python available.

The only thing that makes it complicated is life-cycle-management. You
don't get that for free. But then, it's a hard thing to do anyway in a
distributed evnvironment.

>> easier if I just starting opening sockets and firing data around
>> directly.  Ideally, I'd like to share complex objects.  That's why
>> I thought that I needed one of the above standards.

If all is python, use Pyro. If you need interoperability, and want
OO-style interfaces, use CORBA.

Steer clear from SOAP if you can. See

http://wanderingbarque.com/nonintersecting/2006/11/15/the-s-stands-for-simple

for more good reasons to avoid it at all cast than I can list here myself.

So if it must be XML, use XMLRPC. After all, you can marshal anything
over it if only you serialize dictionaries somehow - then the rest will
follow.

Diez