makeactivexclass stopped giving me events when i upgraded to wxpython 2.7 =(

matt sib jojoba12 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 7 13:54:22 EST 2006

Hi all.

I just upgraded to wxpython 2.7
Its way cool.
However, in one of my apps, i have embedded a flash activex control.
I have had it working great in wxpython 2.6.
After i upgraded to 2.7, i stopped receiving events from flash!
But whats even weirder is that when i embed the flash activex in a wx.Frame
instead of a wx.Panel, i do get the flash events!
I am most mystified....does anyone have any idea here?
thanks all,
matt

Heres the trimmed down version of the code that used to give me events:
Note that when i change the wx.Panel to wx.Frame, i start getting the events
again.

#panel for displaying activex flash
class FlashPanel(wx.Panel):
    def __init__(self, parent, id=-1):
        wx.Panel.__init__(self, parent, id)
        self.parent = parent
        self.InitWindowProperties()
        self.CreateFlashPlayer()

    def InitWindowProperties(self):
        print 'initializing flash interface...'
        self.FlashPlayerTopSizer = wx.BoxSizer(wx.VERTICAL)
        self.SetSizer(self.FlashPlayerTopSizer)
        self.SetAutoLayout(True)
        self.Show(True)

    #create the activex flash
    def CreateFlashPlayer(self):
        FlashModule       =
win32com.client.gencache.EnsureModule('{D27CDB6B-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}',
0,1,0)
        FlashActiveXClass = MakeActiveXClass(FlashModule.ShockwaveFlash,
eventObj=self)
        self.FlashPlayer  = FlashActiveXClass(self, -1)
        self.FlashPlayerTopSizer.Add(self.FlashPlayer, 1, wx.EXPAND)

    #callback for when a call is made from flash to python
    def OnFlashCall(self, *Args): print 'got a callback from flash!'