Is anyone using Python for embedded applications?

Andre Meyer meyer at acm.org
Wed Dec 13 03:52:22 EST 2006

Not sure what your target embedded platform is, but there is a Python
version for the Nokia S60 mobile phone platform (Symbian).

http://s60.com/

Python for S60<http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.nokia.com/id/ee447e84-2851-471a-8387-3434345f2eb0/Python_for_S60.html>
Python for S60 allows developers to execute Python commands and run Python
scripts and applications in devices based on S60 Platform. In addition,
developers can execute Python commands and scripts in the emulators of S60
Developer Platform SDKs. Development starts with an interactive console in a
S60 compatible device where Python commands can be executed.

hth
Andre

On 12/12/06, Carl J. Van Arsdall <cvanarsdall at mvista.com> wrote:

> I'm aware of a couple python projects for embedded systems.  I am
> currently considering using Python on an embedded platform to develop a
> simple application as a personal project, mostly to see if it will
> work.  I was wondering if anyone here was using python for anything of
> that nature?  For those that are involved in these types of projects,
> how does development in python differ for embedded projects versus a
> non-embedded project?  Is there a community standard technique or style
> for this type of development (i.e. heavy in OO design? commonly used
> patterns?)  Are there any good tools to assist for this type of
> development environment?
>
> Oh, and if anyone has opinions/facts on why python should not be used in
> an embedded platform, I'd like to know that too.  I'm somewhat familiar
> with pythons needs on a system, but there are a number of things I am
> not aware of.
>
> Thanks to everyone for their input!
>
> -carl
>
> --
>
> Carl J. Van Arsdall
> cvanarsdall at mvista.com
> Build and Release
>

> --

Dr. Andre P. Meyer                        http://python.openspace.nl/meyer
TNO Defence, Security and Safety          http://www.tno.nl/
Delft Cooperation on Intelligent Systems  http://www.decis.nl/

Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't
previously aware of. - Douglas Adams