Why not just show the out-of-range index?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Dec 5 01:12:46 EST 2006

BJörn Lindqvist wrote:

> Maybe so, but that doesn't mean that it is not possible to make the
> IndexError messages Pythons sequence objects throws better. You don't
> need to change the semantics of x[i].

are you claiming that the fact that you can change every single index
check somehow prove that you *had* thought this through when you argued
that it could be implemented as a global PyObject_IsIndexOutOfBounds
helper, that relies on ob_size ?

(maybe I should stop using a threaded newsreader to read this group;
it's obvious that nobody else ever bothers to check what subthread a
message is appearing in.)

have you posted your patch to the patch tracker, btw?

</F>