Easiest way to print from XP/DOS.

Tom Plunket tomas at fancy.org
Sat Dec 30 01:33:24 EST 2006

jim-on-linux wrote:

> When the client runs the utility program  the
> output file is built but nothing prints and no
> messages appear.

If the file has a '.txt' extension, you could try os.system'ing
"start <filename>", which'll make the file pop open with notepad (or
whatever happens to be associated with TXT files), from which the user
would need to press Ctrl-P to make it print.

> Is it possible that  virus detector or some
> self.defense software is interacting?

Quite.  I run firewall software on my PC that alerts me when a program
is trying to launch another program.  The message that it gives is not
entirely unlike the one you gave me.

To diagnose further, you could have the victim send you a screenshot to
see what's really going on.  With Outlook, it's as easy as hitting the
Print Screen button (when the message is visible) and pasting the
clipboard into an email.  Alternatively, they paste into MS Paint, save
the bitmap somewhere, and mail that to you.

Good luck,
-tom!