merits of Lisp vs Python

greg greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Dec 13 05:55:13 EST 2006

Timofei Shatrov wrote:

> Are you aware that you hardly know any Lisp yet make such bold and unfounded
> claims? Unless interning a string somehow gives it a property list, slot value
> and function value it doesn't give you the same capabilities.

I'm talking about the capability of comparing symbols
efficiently by address, which Robert seemed to think
that Python couldn't do. I was pointing out that it
can, despite not having a distinct symbol type.

I know about property lists. The Pythonic way to do
the equivalent thing is using a dictionary.

I also know about the dual function/other value of
a symbol, which has alway seemed like an idiotic
feature to me. All it seems to do is make it more
awkward than necessary to deal with functions as
first class objects, which is supposedly meant to
be one of Lisp's strengths. So I regard it as a
feature that Python *doesn't* have this. :-)

--
Greg