merits of Lisp vs Python

Stephen Eilert spedrosa at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 06:56:38 EST 2006

Greg Johnston escreveu:

> Stephen Eilert wrote:
> > So, let's suppose I now want to learn LISP (I did try, on several
> > occasions). What I would like to do would be to replace Python and code
> > GUI applications. Yes, those boring business-like applications that
> > have to access databases and consume those new-fangled web-services and
> > whatnot. Heck, maybe even code games using DirectX.
>
> DrScheme for the first. Oh...well, there's loads of OpenGL support if
> you can bear using that instead of DirectX. If you want CL, cl-opengl
> and cells-gtk seem to work well.

Actually, that was an example. I'd rather use OpenGL, but sometimes you
are requested to do otherwise.

As soon as I get some free time, I'm going to play with them.

> > So, how would I do that? For Python, that was simple. I learned the
> > basics, then moved to the libraries, learning as I went. Python has
> > some excelent online resources.
>
> http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/ (Practical Common Lisp)
> http://www.paulgraham.com/onlisp.html (On Lisp)
> http://www.htdp.org/ (HTDP)
> http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/ (SICP)
> http://schemecookbook.org/
> http://www.cliki.net/index
> (Note: I mixed Scheme and CL pages above)

It will take some time, but I'll take a look at those.

> You're welcome to use things like first, rest, or second instead of
> car, cdr, or cadr, but I always find the latter easier (car and cdr are
> composable, and remind you that you're using cons cells). What other
> mnemonics are there? I guess cons, but that shouldn't be hard...

I think they are too cryptic for no reason. Then again, that's the sort
of thing that disappears with usage.

> On the other hand, Python has no 3-letter words. *struck dead by a
> flying "def"*

There's len, and a couple more built-ins. But at least they've got
proper names :P

Stephen