merits of Lisp vs Python

Timofei Shatrov grue at mail.ru
Sat Dec 9 14:00:07 EST 2006

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 04:24:43 +1100, Steven D'Aprano
<steve at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> tried to confuse everyone with this
message:

>On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 14:00:10 +0000, Timofei Shatrov wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 20:36:02 +1100, Steven D'Aprano
>> <steve at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> tried to confuse everyone with this
>> message:

>>>Dude. Turing Complete. Don't you Lisp developers know anything about
>>>computer science?
>>
>> Here, you've basically shot yourself in the ass. Appealing to Turing
>> completeness when talking about programming language features is about the
>> dumbest thing you can make. In Turing sense, a program is simply a function that
>> takes an argument and returns a value. It doesn't say anything about how this
>> function was implemented. It could be Turing machine, lambda calculus, Markov
>> chains or whatever else. All these methods produce the same set of programs, but
>> that doesn't mean you could implement lambda in Turing machine for example.
>
>What exactly are you trying to say here? Is this a comment about the
>relative practicality of writing code in a Turing machine versus
>high-level languages, or are you implying that lambda calculus is "bigger"
>than any Turing-complete language?

I'm trying to say that the ability to read is a very useful skill in a Usenet
discussion. Your posts, like the two quoted above, seem to indicate the lack of
it.

--
|Don't believe this - you're not worthless              ,gr---------.ru
|It's us against millions and we can't take them all... |  ue     il   |
|But we can take them on!                               |     @ma      |
|                       (A Wilhelm Scream - The Rip)    |______________|