merits of Lisp vs Python

Ken Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 18:04:02 EST 2006

George Sakkis wrote:
> JShrager at gmail.com wrote:
>
>>Okay, since everyone ignored the FAQ, I guess I can too...
>>
>>Mark Tarver wrote:
>>
>>>How do you compare Python to Lisp?  What specific advantages do you
>>>think that one has over the other?
>>
>>(Common) Lisp is the only industrial strength language with both pure
>>compositionality and a real compiler. What Python has is stupid slogans
>>("It fits your brain." "Only one way to do things.") and an infinite
>>community of flies that, for some inexplicable reason, believe these
>>stupid slogns. These flies are, however, quite useful because they
>>produce infinite numbers of random libraries, some of which end up
>>being useful. But consider: Tcl replaced Csh, Perl replaced Tcl, Python
>>is rapidly replacing Perl, and Ruby is simultaneously and even more
>>rapidly replacing Python. Each is closer to Lisp than the last; the
>>world is returning to Lisp and is dragging the flies with it.
>>Eventually the flies will descend upon Lisp itself and will bring with
>>them their infinite number of random libraries, and then things will be
>>where they should have been 20 years ago, but got sidetracked by Tcl
>>and other line noise.
>

> I know we shouldn't feed the trolls, but this one was particularly
> amusing to resist the urge. The joke about lisp's world domination in
> some unspecified point in the future never fails to bring a good
> chuckle. I heard it's scheduled right after strong AI and before time
> travel, is this still the plan? A quick look at
> http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm may be helpful as a reality check before
> you go back to your ivory tower (interesting how close in ratings and
> growth is the "Lisp/Scheme" entry with another dinosaur, Cobol).

And it interesting that VB is almost three times "better" than Python,
and that a Honda could kick a Lamboghini's ass for it at Laguna Seca:

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=lamborghini&word2=ford

Come on, COBOL is a great language, even has macros (copy ... replacing)
and the worlds greatest case statement, evaluate. We are proud to be its
neightbor.

ken

--
Algebra: http://www.tilton-technology.com/LispNycAlgebra1.htm

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for thirty-five
years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally
won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd