About the 79 character line recommendation

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 17:11:42 EST 2006

On 5 Dec 2006 13:28:22 -0800, Steve Bergman <steve at rueb.com> wrote:

(...)

> I'm finding 100 to be a nice balance.  It forces me not to be lazy and
> allow really long lines, but allows me to format so as to make the
> meaning most clear.

But if you use some advanced editors (such as Emacs) that easily allow
you to see/edit the same file in two buffers side by side, then going
beyond 80 chars is often a bad idea, specially if you use a laptop.
(And, of course, there is the eternal issue of doing a simple "a2ps"
to print some code; longer than 80 and you often have hard to read
pages).

Best,

R.

--