python vs java & eclipse

sjdevnull at yahoo.com sjdevnull at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 1 16:23:44 EST 2006

hg wrote:
> Thomas Ploch wrote:
> > Yes, thats true, but since eclipse is resource monster (it is still
> > using java), and some people (like me) don't have a super fresh and new
> > computer
>
> If you compare eclipse to VS, it is not that memory hungry

And if you compare Saturn to Jupiter, it's not that big.

> Yet (I believe that) a complete
> IDE can bring functions that an editor, however powerful, cannot

Is there anything _useful_ that it'll bring that a good editor doesn't?
 e.g. in vim I do get
* automatic syntax checking (if I type "if a=1:" and hit enter, it'll
immediately highlight the syntax error)
* omni-completion (because Intellisense is trademarked)
* refactoring (with BicycleRepairMan integration)
* folding (which is more important than the above 3 combined, IMO)
* online help (typing cmp( gives me the docstring for cmp in the status
line, F1 to view the whole thing)

As well as all the basics (tags/class browser/good regex support/syntax
highlighting/autoindent/source control integration/etc).

I'm not trolling here, I'm looking for interesting new features I can
steal.