merits of Lisp vs Python

Raffael Cavallaro raffaelcavallaro at pas-d'espam-s'il-vous-plait-mac.com
Sun Dec 17 11:38:13 EST 2006

On 2006-12-17 07:54:28 -0500, Jon Harrop <jon at ffconsultancy.com> said:

> What if eager impurity isn't the "very nature" of the problem but, rather,
> is the very nature of Tilton's chosen solution?

That's the whole point which you keep missing - that a programming
language is expressive precisely to the extent that it allows you to
express the solution in the *programmer's* chosen form, not the
paradigm imposed by the language.

You look down your nose at cells, but if that's the way kenny conceived
of the problem - as a graph of changing state, why should he be forced
to reconceptualize it according to someone else's notion of programming
correctness (be that pure functional or any other paradigm)?

By asking this question you've implicitly admitted that to solve it *as
he thought of it* in a pure functional language would require
reconceptualizing it (i.e., the aforementioned "jumping through
hoops"). We don't want to reconceptualize everything according to a
particular paradigm, we want the flexibility to write the solution to
the problem in the terms we think and talk about it, not the
procrustean bed of pure functional semantics.