is there a tutorial for creating packages in python?

Soni Bergraj sonibergraj at youjoy.org
Fri Dec 8 12:59:14 EST 2006

krishnakant Mane wrote:
> I saw the official python tutorial and I think chapter 6 has quite a
> bit on that.

I'm not sure what you are after. There is not much to say about building
python packages. I imagine that the important stuff should be in there
(I have not checked!).

If you are looking for ways to distribute your package look at distutils
or setuptools.

> but not what I could term as some thing complete in knowledge that one
> needs to create libraries as huge as wxpython etc.

wxPython is a C (or rather C++) extension (in contrast to a pure Python
package). For C bindings there are several choices, Python C API, SWIG
and ctypes come to mind. For C++ there i Boost.Python. For the usual
packaging work you would use dsitutlis.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Python_Programming/Extending_with_C gives a
short introduction on how to getting started.

Cheers,
--
Soni Bergraj
http://www.YouJoy.org/