array, a better shell

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Dec 20 07:37:57 EST 2006

Duncan Booth:
> Later you can click on them and bring them back
> to the bottom of the input buffer for further editing (so no confusing
> output appearing out of order),

I think that's worse, not better. You end with a messy final "document"
(log), so finding things into it (during the editing too) is much more
difficult.

> Your point was?

My point is to suggest things that can improve the Python user
experience, and productivity too. I try to help, with the hope to have
something that I like more too.

It's very difficult to describe subtle GUI functionalities using a
texual description (expecially when you aren't using your native
language). If you try the Mathematica shell you may find some
differences I am talking about (even if I don't globally like the
Mathematica shell).
Editing an input block into idle feels different from editing a small
script inside an editor, there are differences that make the user
experience less good.
(And beside that it seems I often have problems running IDLE on Win PCs
with a firewall).

Bye,
bearophile