regular expression

Dustan DustanGroups at gmail.com
Sun Dec 24 08:41:32 EST 2006

Kleine Aap wrote:
> Asper Faner wrote:
>
> > I seem to always have hard time understaing how this regular expression
> > works, especially how on earth do people bring it up as part of
> > computer programming language. Natural language processing seems not
> > enough to explain by the way. Why no eliminate it ?
>
> I.M.H.O. anyone that is not capable to grasp the concept of regular
> expressions should not attempt to write computer programs at all! My
> suggestion to you would be to find a job that involves working with your
> hands...

Your humble opinion doesn't get much ruder...

Perhaps you meant "anyone that is not capable to grasp the concept of
regular expressions after some experience with programming should not
attempt to write computer programs at all!" Then at least newbies would
have a leg to stand on.

Otherwise, you're practically cutting off all entrances into the world
of programming! The concept of regular expressions isn't exactly the
simplest one out there. Just because you understood it immediately
(which I'm guessing you did, considering your harsh response), doesn't
mean others find the concept that simple.