Installing python.org distro over ActivePython?

Tom Plunket tomas at fancy.org
Tue Dec 26 12:40:21 EST 2006

Hey gang-

I just ran into the fabled "Secure Sockets not enabled in ActivePython,"
and the ActiveState FAQ says I should just grab _ssl.pyd from
"somewhere", offering up the python.org distribution as a possible
source.

I'm on 2.4 at this time, and python.org has what appears to be a
considerably newer release than ActiveState in the first place, so I was
wondering if I could just install this entire package right over the
ActiveState installation, and everything would Just Work?

thanks,
-tom!