merits of Lisp vs Python

Ken Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 15:57:24 EST 2006

Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> Kirk  Sluder <kirk at nospam.jobsluder.net> writes:
>

>>In article <1165689545.676886.289150 at j44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>> "mystilleef" <mystilleef at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>1). More and better mature standard libraries (Languages don't matter,
>>>libraries do).

>>>On Lisp Macros:
>>>
>>>I think they are overrated, and in general cause more harm than good.
>>>It's the reason I find Lisp-like programs difficult to grok, maintain
>>>and extend. Cos every smart ass wants to needlessly write his own mini
>>>language to the point of absolute obfuscation. Naturally, I'm supposed
>>>to be awed by his mischievous cleverness.
>>
>>I've not seen a convincing explanation as to why imported macros
>>from some library are so much more evil than imported functions. In
>>both cases one might have to dig into documentation and/or comments
>>to understand exactly what that imported snippit is doing.
>

> And the difference with a library function is?

Uh, that was his point.

And if you all dig back thru this thread you will find me quoting GvR on
the difference, which is (paraphrasing) "with macros you do not even
know where the function calls are". I think he is talking about a
loop-like erection of a new language.

ken

--
Algebra: http://www.tilton-technology.com/LispNycAlgebra1.htm

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for thirty-five
years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally
won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd