Interacting with keyboard LEDs

Hendrik van Rooyen mail at microcorp.co.za
Sun Dec 10 04:29:24 EST 2006

"Chris Lasher" <chris.lasher at gmail.com> wrote:

8<-------------------------------

> interact with the LEDs. The xlib package looks promising, though. One
> thing I don't understand is the 32-bit mask. How does this represent
> the LED states? I profess my ignorance.

not sure if this will be of any use - but when you talk to the keyboard, then on
the wire, the bits are in a byte as follows:

LEDS  EQU GBITS1  ;LEDS FOR OUTPUT TO KEYBOARD

SCROLL_LOCK_BIT   EQU    LEDS.0  ; - least significant bit
NUM_LOCK_BIT         EQU    LEDS.1  ; - bit 1
CAPS_LOCK_BIT        EQU    LEDS.2  ; - bit 2

They are set following a mode indicator command to the keyboard which is 0xED
I just happen to know this because we made a funny keyboard wedge box once.

Haven't a clue about how xlib achieves this, though...

- Hendrik