alternate language

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Thu Dec 14 22:52:20 EST 2006

Bryan <belred at gmail.com> wrote:

> what is a good alternate language to learn? i just want something to
> expand my mind and hopefully reduce or delay any chance of
> alzheimer's. i would especially like to hear from those of you who
> learned python _before_ these languages.
>
> haskell, erlang, ocaml, mozart/oz, rebel, etc.

I did a little bit Haskell at university. IMHO it's a very interesting
language to expand your mind. I never used it for real programming
though.

> i don't require any of these features, but extra browny points for any
> of the following:
>
> interactive interpreter

HUGS

> batteries included

Not with the standard library but AFAIK GHC comes with alot of things

> can integrate with c

AFAIK there are some tools

> compiles to native code

GHC

> can use a gui toolkit such as wx

AFAIK there are at least Gtk bindings

> doesn't take 60 hour weeks over years to master

It may take you some time get the idea of pure functional programming
(no loops, no assignment, ...)

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>