Convert PNG files to BMP files using PIL

Craig craigtw.online at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 17:07:36 EST 2006

Hi there,

I'm trying to convert some PNG files to bitmap files which can then be
converted to X11 bitmaps using the im.tobitmap() function.  But the
error I get when using the im.tobitmap() function on the PNG files I
get the following error:

>>> im.tobitmap()

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#2>", line 1, in <module>
    im.tobitmap()
  File "C:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\PIL\Image.py", line 545, in
tobitmap
    raise ValueError("not a bitmap")
ValueError: not a bitmap

Can this be done using PIL or is there another library that can be used
to fulfil the task.  If you could let me know that would be great.
Thanks and good luck.

Craig