on PySol's popularity

Harry George harry.g.george at boeing.com
Tue Dec 19 03:15:04 EST 2006

Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> writes:

> Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
>
> > On Python docs, on faq/installed.html, it's mentioned that PySol is
> > the most common Python application.
>
> not really; that page says that installing PySol is a common way to
> get a Python installation installed without noticing, not that PySol
> is in itself the most common Python application.
>
> and the entire python.org FAQ is horribly outdated.  we're working on
> a replacement, which is currently hosted here:
>
> http://effbot.org/pyfaq/installed-why-is-python-installed-on-my-machine.htm
>
> </F>

A plug for PySol.

My wife is totally non-techno.  She doesn't "get" the notions of
windows, or minimize/maximize, or clicking on the icon down on the
toolbar.  But she does get PySol.  When I recently upgraded, I had to
reinstall Python2.2 in order to use the old PySol binaries (couldn't
get the build-from-source to work).

Linux and Python got a fan due to PySol. It should be considered a
cultural treasure, and if a bit of funding would help keep it rolling
into the future, that might be worthwhile.

--
Harry George
PLM Engineering Architecture