How to create a global hotkey?

Jordan jordan.taylor2 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 13:16:04 EST 2006

If you're using python 2.4, you can use the pyHook library (I don't
think it has been ported to 2.5 yet... I should email him about that),
which can hook both the mouse and keyboard, so your program can be
running in the background and still catch what keys (or mouse clicks)
are pressed.  The pyHook extension comes with some very good examples
of how to use it, but if they aren't good enough examples (I can't
imagine that would happen), you should check out pykeylogger
(sourceforge) which uses the pyHook extension (it's a really good
program. Although not like conventional keyloggers built in C/C++ which
hide themselves from the OS - the purpose was not actually to spy on
the user but to create backups of what was typed - it still does a very
good job and the latest release has a lot of options and
extendability).  If your OS is linux, unix, or mac... good luck   ;D

Cheers,
Jordan