merits of Lisp vs Python

David Lees debl2NoSpam at verizon.net
Sat Dec 9 01:37:47 EST 2006

JShrager at gmail.com wrote:
> Okay, since everyone ignored the FAQ, I guess I can too...
>
> Mark Tarver wrote:
>> How do you compare Python to Lisp?  What specific advantages do you
>> think that one has over the other?
>
> (Common) Lisp is the only industrial strength language with both pure
> compositionality and a real compiler. What Python has is stupid slogans
> ("It fits your brain." "Only one way to do things.") and an infinite
> community of flies that, for some inexplicable reason, believe these
> stupid slogns. These flies are, however, quite useful because they
> produce infinite numbers of random libraries, some of which end up
> being useful. But consider: Tcl replaced Csh, Perl replaced Tcl, Python
> is rapidly replacing Perl, and Ruby is simultaneously and even more
> rapidly replacing Python. Each is closer to Lisp than the last; the
> world is returning to Lisp and is dragging the flies with it.
> Eventually the flies will descend upon Lisp itself and will bring with
> them their infinite number of random libraries, and then things will be
> where they should have been 20 years ago, but got sidetracked by Tcl
> and other line noise.

Hmmm.  The last time I fooled around with Lisp was 1966 from the Lisp
1.5 Manual Published by MIT in cloth.  It was interesting and different
from the other languages I was using, Algol 60, Basic and Macro
assembler for the GE-235 and GE-635.  When I read some of the over the
top type hype by Lisp enthusiasts (like the stuff above) it feels like a
flash back to the mid 60's.  Personally, I never like Lisp syntax;
Clearly some people, some fanatic judging by this thread :) think easily
in prefix.  I am not one of them.  Computer languages are tools and
everyone should pick the ones that they are most comfortable and
productive with.

Six years ago, when I drifted back into programming, I had to learn
about Object Oriented programming and C++.  I used Python as a means to
update my programming skills (limited though they are) by 30 years or
so.  It was a wonderful intro to OO and served me well.  I ended up
writing all kinds of little things for work (simple HTTP servers for
load testing, ECAD hacks for the ASIC guys, even a register level chip
simulator) Even better, I find it a pleasure to write small utilities,
to prototype C code and generally do things quickly.  I use it by choice
to get things done, not because it is mandated.  At my current job as a
Systems Engineer for a large aerospace firm, I do not program daily, but
when I need to write a quick hack, I always use Python.

david