DOS, UNIX and tabs

Paul McNett p at ulmcnett.com
Fri Dec 29 23:35:22 EST 2006

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> But I think we all agree that mixing tabs and spaces is A Very Bad Thing.

I like mixing tabs and spaces, actually. Tabs for indentation, and
additional spaces to make the code "look pretty". Somebody please tell
me why this is bad and I'll stop.

class Apple(object):
	def contrived_example_function(self, argument1, argument2,
	                               argument3, argument4):
		print "hello, world"

Apparently, emacs in python mode follows this convention, too. I like it
because I get the best of both worlds: the only thing against using
tabs-only-indentation is that wrapping long lines can be quite ugly,
while space-only-indentation allows for beautifying it somewhat by
lining up the columns to match. Tabs+spaces allows the "lining up" with
spaces to be explicitly separate from indentation.

--
pkm ~ http://paulmcnett.com